This one is particularly geared toward guys… so I mean that in the cutest possible way.
No more excuses. Here’s a short clip of what you can do to start incorporating yoga into your life. I’ll keep this short and straight-forward so I don’t lose you.
Keep these things in mind:
1. Try as best you can to guide every movement by your own breath. Our bodies perform their best when you’re fueling it with fresh oxygen and ridding it from stale air. Follow my direction to get the flow of things, and continue the same pattern. Inhale & exhale through your nose.
2. To get the best stretch in your hamstrings, keep your quadriceps engaged/ flexed. This also applies to any other antagonist muscle group (pairs located in opposite sides of a joint or bone) because when one is contracted, the other is relaxed, allowing you to fully stretch it out.
3. In downward dog:
- Relax head
- Separate shoulders from ears
- Suck-in navel (I like to call it belly-button), contract your core
- Picture your chest moving toward your knees (crazy thought, I know)
- Heels toward the floor- give it time
- Engaged legs! What the hell does that mean? Just flex them.
4. 90 degrees, 90 degrees, 90 degrees. Don’t get hurt, keep your knee over your ankle.
6. Adjust yourself during poses, especially those hips & shoulders.
- In Warrior 1= hips squared
- In Warrior 2 = hips open
8. This sequence:
- High-Lunge + mini backbend (do right leg, then left leg, or whichever you want to start with)
- Warrior 1
—- you get the choice here of opening up directly from Warrior 1 to Warrior 2 OR “taking your flow” after Warrior 1 then coming up into another Warrior 1 and opening up to Warrior 2 —-
- Warrior 2 ( again, make sure to add the opposite leg, didn’t want to bore you with a longer video)
- Bridge Pose
That’s it! Try doing this a couple times a week and you’ll soon start feeling bendier and better in general :) Here’s the video
Off-topic note: the shirt I’m wearing is in support of Cristy, who is fighting Cystic Fibrosis. This is a foundation very dear to my heart, and one I constantly support as well for Ella Wicks. Both girls have a wonderful support system that is active in giving us opportunities to help out- buying a shirt, joining in a 5k, playing a golf tournament, etc. If you’re interested in donating to either of these girls’ specific foundations, please get in touch with me and I’ll direct you to the proper people. Thank you!!!
YoGUYS! Yoga for LazyAsses Who Don’t Stretch from YogaRico on Vimeo.